Re: America's Stonehenge & NS Mystery walls request

Some time ago, I was telling you that the skeleton of 9,000 year-old
Kennewick man from Kennewick, WA had been destroyed by the Corps of
Engineers to avoid a big controversy between the archaeologists and the
Columbia Basin tribes.  Well, apparently that was wrong.  in the Oregonian,
Wed. June 20, 2001 was this article
telling that a new hearing has been held.  The federal judge is yet to
decide on the future of this skeleton.  A lawsuit was brought by 8
anthropologists seeking to study the 9,300 year old remains, found in 1996
on the Columbia River shore against the U.S. Army Corps of Eng. who had
indicated that they would turn the remains over to 5 Columbia Basin tribes
for burial without allowing a study.  This had been OK'd by the then sec. of
the Interior.
  The first ruling stated that anyone who was settled in the US before
European exploration should be considered a Native American.  But it was
argued that no modern tribe can show a "shared group identity" with
Kennewick Man's group as required by the law.  There is a 'pesky, little
5,5000 year gap" in archaeological evidence between the time the ancient
hunter was around and when groups began to settle the area around Kennewick
about 4,000 years ago.  But the Indians say their tribal oral histories say
they have been in the area for more than 10,000 years.

"The discovery of the remains drew international attention because of their
age and because of Kennewick Man's narrow, long skull and other
characteristics that aren't like modern Native Americans.  Federally
appointed scientists determined that the middle-aged man--who was found with
a spearpoint in his pelvis--is not similar to any modern group but come
closest to the Ainu people of Japan or Polynesians.
  Kennewick Man is the oldest skeleton ever found in the NW.  The collection
of about 380 bones and bone fragments is  being stored at the Burke Museum
at the U of Wash. in Seattle."

> Not to mention that as of a coupla years ago the Smithsonian's public and
> private position is that Clovis people, the original inhabitants of North
> America, didn't come over the land bridge from Asia, but down the Atlantic
> Coast from northern Europe in ships....so North America was "discovered"
at
> least 12,000 years ago....probably longer...

AINU:   are a group of white men, who may have been the first people to live
in Japan.  Many scientists believe that the Ainu are one of the oldest
existing peoples on the earth.  There are now about 16,000 Ainu living in
the NE part of Japan on the island of Hokkaido, on the three southernost
Kuril Islands, and on the southern part of Sakhalin.  The largest settlement
is in Shiraoi, Hokkaido.
  The Ainu have about the same relationship to the Japanese as the American
Indians have had to the people of the US and Canada.  They live in separate
villages and have their own culture.  Most Ainu are poor and subject to
disease.  They live in crude grass huts heated only by open fires.  The
women do the gardening and housework.  The men at one time made a living
fishing, but today many of them are too poor to pay for the fishing licenses
the Japanese government requires.  The men have bushy hair and beards, and
many of the women tattoo their faces with lines representing beards.  The
people are short and stocky.  Their average height is a little over 5 feet."
World Book Encyclopedia 1973   maybe some of this information is out of date
now.
WoW   you just have to see this website on the Ainu
http://wtv6.com/zenegata/ainu.html

And look at the connection with the Basque
http://www.islandnet.com/~edonon/ainu.htm

Laurel