Re: Prince & Jarl

>But this takes us back to the title of Duke of Oldenburg.  Where did that
>story creep in?  I don't think I am finding it in Sword and the Grail, St.
>Clairs of the Isles or Pohl (maybe I should look harder ), but Pete Cummings
>wrote about it as fact.

Whether Henry St. Clair really was Duke of Oldenburg would be quite
interesting to know, for a number of reasons.

1) As previously mentioned, the Counts of Oldenburg were princes of the
Holy Roman Empire, and the County of Oldenburg was a possession of the
Dukes of Oldenburg, so if Henry was the Duke of Oldenburg, he was a Prince,
which would resolve that discussion.

2) The Kings of Denmark have since 1448 been of the House of Oldenburg.
So if Henry was a Duke of Oldenburg, presumably he is somehow related
to the King of Denmark.

3) The Kings of Greece are descendants of the Danish House of Oldenburg.
So if Henry was a Duke of Oldenburg, presumably he is somehow related
to the Kings of Greece.

4) The Romanov Tsars of Russia are closely related to the House of Oldenburg.
So if Henry was a Duke of Oldenburg, presumably he is somehow related
to the Romanovs.

5) I've never seen any discussion of how Henry was supposedly related to
the Oldenburgs, and it's a different geographical, political, dynastic,
etc. subject than those we usually discuss, so it's interesting in itself.

6) This seems like a subject that could be resolved one way or the other
fairly readily, perhaps unlike many other claims about Henry.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>