Re: re:Death quote -- Who said that?

At 07:05 AM 6/14/01 +0200, you wrote:
>  To fear death, my friends, is only to think ourselves wise, without being
>wise: for it is to think that we know what we do not know. For anything that
>men can tell, death may be the greatest good that can happen to them: but
>they fear it as if they knew quite well that it was the greatest of evils.
>And what is this but that shameful ignorance of thinking that we know what
>we do not know?
>
>  Socrates
>  BC 469-399
>
>  Perhaps the  root of our trouble  is that we  sacrifice all the beauty of
>our lives, to imprison ourselves in totems, taboos, crosses,  sacrifices,

[ Excess quotations omitted. ]

Dear Sinclair,

Socrates and Sinclair-- Two wise men observe death dispassionately, yet
with insight, hopefulness and peace.

I wonder why it is that conscious dying is a choice not many consider as an
option.  I hope when my turn comes, I will face it expectantly, consciously
aware that I'm passing through a veil into a new dimension.   I'm
anticipating another adventure.

Thanks for those words, Sinclair.

Myra Perala
Portland, OR