re:off-topic

The response that a group of people with a strong ethic who are prepared to
stop and think and speak about the other things of life is very important,
is true.
I don't agree with the death penalty as I also believe life is sacred, but
when I wrote in response to Niven I was agreeing that if it had to be done,
it should not have been done as a public entertainment. We think we are
more sophisticated than our forebears - but are we?
What would have helped McVeigh?  What could have prevented the terror? I
saw somewhere that he had recognized he was damaged from the Gulf War.
Perhaps he declined something or asked for help, but whatever - our society
has not been able to find a solution that satisfies everyone for any question.
  Incarceration for life?  Terrible.
  For a set period - would that satisfy all those whose loved ones died
innocently?
  Set free? so some one else can take revenge?
  Death - we hate the word - we fear it, and we reject the idea of it.
I have no answers, I  can only regret that he killed, and that our society
has no other answer.

Jean Sinclair Stokes.