Re: Those St Clair of the Isles etc

 I came across the following info from the Eastman e-mail newsletter, that I
receive:

More Old Books on CD

It seems that Rod Neep has set up a project to scan old, out-of-
print books, directories etc. and to then distribute them on CD-
ROM. This is a non profit project; any funds received are either
ploughed back into the project to buy more books or are donated to
the archives that have loaned books to the project. Funds donated
to archives will normally be used to rebind these books or to
purchase additional books. In fact, many old books would be
available to the public except that the bindings are falling
apart. As a result, many archives have withdrawn these rare books
from public access. The new CD-ROM project will have a two-fold
benefit: (1.) the books will be scanned and made available to
everyone on CD-ROM, and (2.) the funds derived will pay for
rebinding.

One of the best features of the project is everybody wins: the
archives gain by having their books rebound as well as receiving
additional rare books, while the genealogy public wins by being
able to purchase CD-ROM copies of rare, out-of-print books crammed
full of genealogical facts.