Re: St. Margaret

Dear Neil,
    Thanks a bunch.  I have to get dressed and be off to get a blood test
but am having too much fun writting this history.  I have copied a message I
just sent to Lord Malcolm when he asked me about a mosaic in the House of
Lords which is supposed to depict Charlemagne giving a piece of the holy
rood to St. Margaret.   There is more information here amoung my pipe
dreams.   I have more concerning the research in Hungary that I will send
you later.
Laurel
======
Dear Lord Malcolm,
I have included the message that I sent out about William the Seemly to
our Discussion list but after thinking it over during the night, I changed a
word in the second paragraph, "around became by".  I can think of several
scenarios to William's life.  Perhaps when his father, Walderne was killed
at the battle of Val-des-dunes in 1047 his life might have been in danger.
He would have been around 19.  Did he go to live in a monastery, did he come
soon to Edward the Confessor's court where he would have met up with Malcolm
Canmore who was around his age and become fast friends there, and then in my
message below go as part of the delegation to Hungary?

Did he go with or join his uncle William in Apulia? Morrison did not know
about this Uncle William when he compiled the History of the Sinclairs.  (I
have a copy of it)   We don't know that William was in Apulia by then but
being the third son, it was unlikely as a young man that he would inherit
any lands or title so he could well be with other younger sons in Apulia and
Sicily carving out territory for themselves.  But with the death of Hamo and
Walderne he would have perhaps returned within the year and claimed his
birthright as Count of Mortain.
    It is known that he was there in Normandy and was then called William
the Warling (Warlenc).  So he must have been in some battles to have
received that title that is why I envision him being in Apulia before he
appears in the history of Normandy.  Now this uncle William might have had
sons that could have been at Hastings.  There are plenty of St. Clair
cousins to make up the total 9 for Hastings and not involve William the
Seemly.
    It is written in the Normandy history that there were certain relatives
that maligned William concerning his illegitimate birth.  Very likely it was
uncle William trying to stir up support for his candidacy for Duke of
Normandy.  This enraged Duke William, so he took away uncle William's lands
and title and gave them to the Duke's 1/2 brother Robert who now became the
Count of Mortainin 1855-56.  Uncle William left for Apulia .  Did uncle W.
take young William the Seemly with him?   Did William the Seemly marry and
settle down in  Normandy or Apulia?
    By this date things had settled down in Hungary.  The battles fought by
Edmund the Athling and his brother Edward in Hungary to put their friend,
Andrew on the throne --crowned king in 1046.  Notice that Edmund was the
Athling (considered to be the pretender to the English Crown as eldest
brother rather than Edward, but Edmund died and so then he became Edward the
Athling).  This was before William the Seemly's father and uncle Hamon died.
There were plenty of battles and problems at home to be involved in rather
than go off to Hungary to help out Andrew.  If his Uncle would have
prevailed, then there would have certainly been lands and titles to receive
into his branch of the family so why leave then?
     It is possible that Emma or whoever was watching over the her sons,
Edward and Alfred, in Normandy considered the environment surrounding Robert
the Devil a bad influence or dangerous, so they may have spent some of their
lives in a safe monastery where maybe they crossed paths with our William?
This is maybe stretching it but it makes me wonder why there is, so far,
only one reference that I have found of Edward the Confessor for those many
years in Normandy.
    But I find with all my scenarios, the truth usually turns out to be
something entirely surprising, that's what makes this history so much fun
for me.

     Now about Margaret and Charlemagne.--- Are you sure this is supposed to
be Charlemagne?
Could it possibly be someone else?   Charlemagne died in 814, 232 years
before Margaret was born.  I can't see the connection between them except
Charlemagne's empire might have extended to Hungary, it's hard to tell when
looking at a map of this territory to see whether some part of Hungary might
be included.  Margaret certainly brought a new influence and understanding
of Christianity to Scotland but not to England.  She had no influence on
England while she was growing up there mostly in a nunnery.  It is pretty
certain that by 1068-9, it was unlikely that Margaret's brother Edgar the
Athling would  have a position in the new English monarchy and the perhaps
hope of her mother marrying William the Conqueror, was blocked.  So it is
thought by many of today's researchers that the family was on its way back
to Hungary when they had to seek shelter in Scotland.   But she really made
King Malcolm "shape-up" and brought back some basic Christian concepts from
the conservative Eastern Church influenced somewhat by the Byzantines.   So
perhaps the mosaic is trying to symbolically depict her Christian influence
to Scotland's church as Charlemagne caused Christianity to advance in his
empire.

 I think that history gets scrambled because it is complicated, it takes
time to tell the factors that are causing these things to happen and if
there are third or fourth parties involved, their stories get attributed to
the two main characters and the story gets shorter and shorter as we have
less time to tell it before we see the listener's eyes glaze over with
"mental overload".
    Sure wish I could be there to see and hear it all.  Love to hear from
you.
As ever,
Laurel