Fw: Dauphin, charts, why?

Cousins,  This is a conversation that John Q. and I had so have sent it on
to you.  It involves 4 questions.

1. Part one gives more information on the origin of the title "Dauphin" and
who was the French King that started using the term Dauphin for his son?
How did he get the territory of Dauphine?  (The example of Dauphin was used
as an example of how the title of  Atheling was used in Saxon Kingly lines.)
2.  If the Sinclairs were so important to Malcolm and Margaret why didn't
William the Seemly get a
    better title than just "baron"? Question for FAQ
3.  Why didn't the Bruce's receive more land?
4.  Why was the name of Douglas missing from Sinclair de la Behottiere's
list?

=============

========
>So far as I know, dauphin was a title that was used for the French
>heir-apparent for many generations.  But I don't know much about it.
>Someone who might is Sinclair de la Behottiere, with his house in
>Normandy and his French mother.  I suggest you ask the question on the
>list, and I bet he will answer.
>
>Here's a much later example, however:

> http://www.royal-stuarts.org/francis.htm

>And it turns out that Louis XIV was called dauphin before he was king.
>So there are three examples from three different centuries (15th, 16th,
18th),
>ranging over 300 years, so it's clear the title was traditional.
>
>According to dictionary etymologies the title did derive from the ruler
>of the region Dauphine', which is located in what now is the border of
>France with Italy.  It probably was part of Charlemagne's empire, but
>it was not part of France for a long time, for a while it was even
>part of the Holy Roman Empire.  Its ruler was called the dauphin.
>Infoplease says:
>  In 1349 the area was sold to France by Dauphin Humbert II, who was
>  childless, and for the next century it was governed as a
>  separate province by the eldest son of the king of France. In
>  1457 it was annexed by the crown. John
>=============
Now that seems like a very good system.  It gave the Prince (Dauphin) a
place to practice to be king and kept him busy until he became
ing.  )Laurel
=======
>So the use of the title dauphin for the French heir-apparent
>predates Charles VIII by a century, and the title is, as you noted,
>quite parallel to Prince of Wales.  Dauphine is even a mountainous
>border country, similar to Wales (although Dauphine has real mountains;
>the Alps).John
>=========================>
>>Fixing up the Glossary was a big job.  Haven't looked at it yet.  Thanks
for
>>all your super efforts. Laurel
>========
>You're welcome.  Keep sending interesting stuff. John
>============================
>>Have you ever wondered why, if the Sinclairs were such important people
and
Laurel
>==========
>Well, there are numerous opinion on *that* subject.Nigel Tranter goes out
of his way to sneer at Sinclairs.
A very respectable history of Robert the Bruce I'm reading
>mentions numerous Sinclairs, but in most cases by title
>so that you wouldn't know if you didn't know, and in
>one case where a Sinclair had undeniable importance
>in the wars of independence he breaks up the references
>among three chapters so you wouldn't know if you weren't
>checking all of them by the index.
>
>A fellow I know in Scotland grew up near Roslin and never thought
>much about Sinclairs.  Even though he had of course read Scott in school,
>he had never been to Roslin Castle.
>
>Another Scot I know was aware of the Sinclairs of Caithness, but even
>after he visited Rosslyn Chapel was not aware that it was related.
>
>One key feature of the importance of the Sinclairs in Scotland
>(and elsewhere) is the extreme historical continuity of the family.
>That's what Sir Walter Scott is referring to when he says
> ``The lordly line of high St. Clair.''
>High as in high antiquity, not necessarily high place,
>although some of them had that, too.John
>============
>>did so much for Malcolm and Margaret that William was only made a
Baron.Laurel
>================
>Well, he was a foreigner.  There were only a certain number of Scottish
Earls
===========
>>  Maybe in those days there were only Earls and Barons. Laurel
>=================
>Come to think of it, I don't recall reading of any marquesses
>or dukes in Scotland at that time, which would make sense, since
>those titles are mostly of Norman origin. (Well, the titles themselves
>derive from Roman terms, but the use of the titles in the medieval
>sense was so far as I know reintroduced into Britain by the Normans.)John
>
>>  I have read (how much truth?) that the Earlship was bestowed
>>upon a family members usually, so maybe that's why. Laurel
>
>Yes.  The earls in Scotland were the successors of the ancient Pictish
>mormaers, who were among other things electors of the king, who was
>himself also selected from among a set of eligible family members by
tanistry.
>The earls weren't created by the king.  Their titles and offices predated
>the institution of King of Scots as king of all Scotland, and they decided
>who would be king.John
>
>>  Or  Perhaps there
>>wasn't more to give out since local guys owned most of the land and it
would
>>have caused really bad feelings to take it away from them to give to
>>William.
>======
>>  The Bruces didn't receive much land in Scotland either. Laurel
>====
>The Bruces didn't have any land in Scotland when Malcolm gave Roslin to
>William.  The family of de Bruis came into Scotland with Malcolm and
>Margaret's son King David I, as did half a dozen other Norman families.
>
>Here is another piece of the high antiquity of the Sinclairs in Scotland:
>they were there before all the other Norman families in Scotland.
>
>The Bruces also had a much more ambiguous position, in that they had
>lands in Cumbria as well as in Annandale.  Although Cumbria was part
>of Scotland in David I's reign, it later reverted to England, resulting
>in the famous ambiguity of the Bruce family over which monarch they
served.John

=========
>Maybe we could have a list of the titles and descriptions of their use.  If
others were added through the years that could be indicated.  Much of what
you have said John would explain this so well for everyone.Laurel