[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Francine, Firstly, I am sure that there are many others on this list that have a greater knowledge of the topics you raise. I hope to provide a brief response, to intitiate an answer for you. Others may take it from here. 100% proof is not forthcoming, but we can conclude that different groups did share certain symbols. The age old question; did one evolve from another? or did many streams of thought germinate separately and in parrellel use this symbol? One should note that this symbol is often seen in association with other symbols. So that if you were only looking for the skull & cross bones and neglecting the others depicted with it, you may encounter gaps in following who was using it and where. Note it is an easily identifiable sign used by people timid to public/church/state scrutiny. Pirates flying the Jolly Roger ensign. Belguim origins Templar origins Scottish origins 'Indeed, throughout the twelfth century, certain ties had been deliberately forged between Scotland and Flanders. During the reigns of David I (1124-53) and Malcolm IV (1153-65), there obtained a systematic policy of settling Flemish immigrants in Scotland. The newcomers were installed in large organized enclaves in upper Lanarkshire, upper Cldesdale, West Lothian and the north of Moray at the expense of local aristocracy and church,...' 'Flemish settlers were thus actively encouragred to come to the country and establish metropolitan centres on the Flemish pattern. (Page 123 The Temple and the Lodge; by Baigent and Leigh). 'There was much cross fertilization and reciprocal influence between Scotland and Flanders. As a result of the influx of Flemish settlers, Scottish towns assumed certain distinctly Flemish characteristics, while elements of Scotland's ancient Celtic heritage found their way back to Flanders...' (Page 124 The Temple and the Lodge; by Baigent and Leigh). 'Accrding to this later tradition, Sir William Sinclair in preparation for the building of his chapel, imported stone-masons and other artisans from the Continent. The town of Roslin itself was supposedly built to house and accomodate the new arrivals. ...It is important to note that 'Masonry' in this context does not imply Freemasonry as we know it today. On the contrary, it refers to the guild or guilds of professional workers and builders in stone'. (Page 163 The Temple and the Lodge; by Baigent and Leigh). I hope this adds something. We must conclude for ourselves as to what to make of it all. Regards Bruce PS. I used Baigent & Leigh only as it was closest on the bookshelf. I could have grabbed examples from anyone else, apologies to Tim; I should have thought him first. [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@quarterman.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://sinclair.quarterman.org/list.html