Re: Sir John Sinclair's History of the Revenue.

Rory,

>The first thing I would do/add/correct is the use of the moniker "Jamie"
>I have read a fair amount of material on the man and he was never referred
>to as "Jamie" by anybody that I  saw.
>He had a brother James and also a son James and calling him "Jamie" even as
>a nickname would have made a shambles of family life --- far too many
>James's.

Burke's says this about him:

``THE RT. HON. Sir John Sinclair, 1st Bt ., of Ulbster, PC, DCL, F.R. and
A.S. Pres of Bd of Ag, and MP, Cashier of Excise in Scotland, Col, raised
and cmded the Caithness and Rothesay Fencibles, a great agriculturist,
and the founder of the Bd of Agriculture, by his works on husbandry
he taught an improved system of cultivation, his Statistical Account
of Scotland is a most valuable work, cr a Baronet 14 Feb 1786, with
remainder, in default of his own male issue, to the male issue of his
daus. respectively; b 1754; m 1st, 26 March 1776, Sarah, dau of Alexander
Maitland, of Stoke Newington, and had issue,''

Burke's proceeds to list many children, none of them named James.
The only siblings it lists for him were named Helen, Mary, and Janet.

What's your source for him having either a brother or a son named James?

He did have a son named John.  Maybe he also had a nickname James....

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>