A detailed history of Ireland

Hello!

   Would anyone know of a book that gives a detailed history of Ireland?  My
maiden name is Green.  My father's father told him that around 1770 his
ancestor, whose surname was Green, left Ireland and went to Germany (Germany
at that time was divided into many principalities.) and fought in the army of
a German baron.  This baron gave Mr. Green land near the city of Saarbrücken,
Germany as a recompense for his military service.  I thought a detailed
history of Ireland might mention this, if many men left Ireland at this time
and went to fight for German nobles.
   Thank you for your assistance with my genealogical research.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Sinclair Green Grady
Alexandria, Virginia