Re: Sinclair Dates

>At 08:20 AM 08/08/02 -0500, you wrote:
>>Let's try for farther ahead, so I'll be more likely to get them in in time.
>>
>>How about 9, 10, and 11 August?
>
>Ok John, have covered 9th already, so next:

OK.

>[1]
>     August 10:
>
>National Day of Ecuador
>
>1675:  Greenwich Observatory was established by King Charles II,
>          and its foundation stone laid.
>
>1821:  Missouri, the Show Me State, became the 24th state of the
>          Union. (I'd appreciate someone explaining to a dumb Aussie
>          what that terminology above means! - Ian)

The Union referred to is the United States of America.
Several methods of joining are possible; I don't recall which one Missouri used.
The Show Me State refers to how people from Missouri are supposedly
hard-headed and practical.

>References
>
>   1. "Chambers Dates"  (1983)  ISBN 0 550 11827 6
>        Published by W & R Chambers Ltd, Edinburgh Scotland.

References are good.  We may be overusing this one; at some point
we'll be beyond fair use.

Also, the most interesting items to this list
are probably ones that are Sinclair or Scottish related.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>