Re: Sinclair Dates

At 08:20 AM 08/08/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Let's try for farther ahead, so I'll be more likely to get them in in time.
>
>How about 9, 10, and 11 August?

Ok John, have covered 9th already, so next:

[1]
     August 10:

National Day of Ecuador

1675:  Greenwich Observatory was established by King Charles II,
          and its foundation stone laid.

1821:  Missouri, the Show Me State, became the 24th state of the
          Union. (I'd appreciate someone explaining to a dumb Aussie
          what that terminology above means! - Ian)

1846:  The Smithsonian Institution was established at Washington,
          DC, by the bequest of British scientist James Smithson.

1874:  Herbert Hoover, American Republican statesman and 31st
          President, born at West Branch in Iowa, the son of a
          blacksmith.  (I think he also spent some considerable time
          in Australia, including the Western Australian goldfields, but
          that would need to be checked - Ian)

1885:  The first electric street-railway in the United States was
          opened in Baltimore by Leo Daft.

1966:  America's first moon satellite, Orbiter 1, was launched.
[1]
     August 11:

1890:  Cardinal Newman (no relation that I'm aware of yet!),
          English churchman and leader of the Oxford Movement
          which intended to restore high-Church ideals, died at
          Edgbaston in Warwickshire aged 89.

1952:  King Hussein succeeded as King of the Jordan on the
          deposition of his father, King Talal, because of mental
          illness.

1960:  Chad, a member state of the French Community in
          Northern Africa, became an independent Republic.
[1]
     August 12:

The grouse shooting season opens in Britain.

1762:  King George IV born at St.James's Palace in London's
          Pall Mall, the eldest son of George III.

1881:  Cecil B De Mille, American film producer, noted for his
          Biblical spectacles, born at Ashfield in Massachusetts.

1960:  The first communications satellite was launched -
          America's Echo I.