Re: discussion on other than family history

Sally,

Briefly, I think this list is a treasure.  It's unfailingly interesting, and
has held my attention far longer than other "genealogy lists" that I
monitor.  The basic reason this list is so interesting, I believe, is
because of the very interesting community that participates.  The occasional
off-topic commentary gives us all interesting insights into our fellow
posters, and has, (for me at least), greatly enriched my enjoyment of the
list.

We live in interesting times, and this list provides a personal but global
window into how others think about events.  We may disagree occasionally,
but as long as it is done with mutual respect, and doesn't aggravate others
too much, or dominate the list discussions, I think it is a net plus.  Most
off-topic subjects fade very quickly if there is little interest or
response.  Personally, I say "no harm, no foul".  On the other hand, I am a
grateful guest here, and have no right to suggest how the list ought to be
run.  It's John's call.

Best regards,

Joe