Re: Genealogy

>I wonder if 'Big Jack the drunk' made his wife sleep in the shallow end?
>
>While I understand the reluctance to claim such a man as an ancestor, I am
>somewhat sceptical of the names certain individuals acquired - such as
>'William the Seemly' - were only the good guys so remembered.  Is there no
>'Odo the Odiferous' or 'Enis the Inept' figuring among the clan genealogies?

The French didn't seem reluctant to assign such noms de roi:
Pepin the Short, Charles the Bald, Louis II, the Stammerer,
Charles II, the Fat, Louis VI, the Fat, and my favorite,
Louis X, the Headstrong.

In England, let's not forget Ethelred the Unready.

In Scotland, there was Culen the Whelp, and of course the familiar
Malcolm Bighead.

The Norse could be even more colorful; witness Jarl Harald the Wicked.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>