Re: Genealogy

I don't think we ever stop being related, as we all have common ancestors.

I believe that all my ancestors made me (even step-great grandparents), as,
if one event did not take place, I would not be here.

The following are websites with relationship charts.

http://www.grl.com/grl/relationship.shtml

http://www.genealogy.com/genealogy/16_cousn.html?Welcome=1021227980

http://members.mint.net/dws/geneal/dl01.htm

When you are working with older records, be aware that the meaning of the
word "cousin," along with the meanings of other relationship terms, have
changed over time

>From the website: http://www.genealogy.com/00000011.html
Some of today's most familiar words had different meanings previously. The
change in meaning usually occurred in words referring to social
relationships. For example, the word "cousin" often meant niece or nephew;
and the title "Mrs." could show high social status, not necessarily marital
status. There are a few other relationship terms that you should look out
for:

The terms "niece" and "nephew" spring from Latin words which meant
"granddaughter" and "grandson," so you may find them used in that context.
When we use the words "junior" and "senior," we normally think of a father
and son relationship. However, in the past, these words were used much more
liberally and could refer to an uncle and nephew, or even to two people with
the same name who were unrelated.
The words "brother" and "sister" also were used in different ways. Members
of the same church often referred to each other as brothers and sisters, and
a married couple would refer to their brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law
just as brothers and sisters.
The term "in-law" can also cause problems. In the past, "in-law"
relationships could be either step relationships or the regular in-law
relationship that we think of today.
Misunderstanding and misinterpreting these terms can really twist the
branches of your family tree, so when you're reading older records it is
important to be cautious. When it is possible, verify information with other
records. This is the best way to make sure that you have the correct
information. In addition, look at the rest of the language in the document.
The more arcane terms and spellings you find, the more careful you should
be.

WANDA SINCLAIR
Rexdale, Ontario