RE: Viking Pine and St Margaret's birth place

Sinclair,
	I, too, know little about ship building, just what I have read in
various sources. Which hardly makes me an expert.

>From what I understand, the clinker built ships were built with over lapping
planks and then the ribbing and other support members were added to the
inside. This is probably why the ships were so flexible. The carvel built
ships were built from the inside out, starting with a skeleton and then
having planks laid over that. This design was necessitated, I believe, by
the addition of cannon as armament and the need for more structural
strength.
	If Henry made the assumed voyage in a clinker built then it truly
was an epic voyage as this type of ship, while fairly stable in the ocean,
offered very little in the way of amenities. It would have been a more
pleasant trip in a carvel built which was the beginning of shipboard cabins
or shelters.
Just an unqualified observation on my part.

Oddly enough a quick search of the net on modern Viking ship replicas of the
clinker built type, show the structural members or skeleton going up first,
quite contrary to the definition of clinker built. I'd be interested in
hearing from a real shipwright or someone more knowledgeable in ship design.
It might cast some interesting light on what Henry would have gone through
in "discovering" the New World.

	Dana