James & Mary Sinclair, Glasgow > St. Marys, Perth Co. Ont. > US

Hello Listers and especially Angus,
I have recently rejoined  the list and here is my Sinclair genealogy:*

    Angus you are the only one who has mentioned Donald Sinclair and Mary
McCallum or McCallum McIntyre.I have corresponded with someone in your
 line who thought I got it wrong, that it should be Duncan Sinclair
and Mary Jean  or Jane McCallum, but I think my James  would be the right
age
(b.1801) to be Duncan's brother and my grandfather may have forgotten or
didn't know of the name McIntyre. My gt.gt.grandfather James would
have been in his teens when Duncan, and brothers and sister came to E.
St. Andrews.  Perhaps James is the one other child left behind. If so, would
he have taken care of his parents? When did they die?
    I have another question for the list. Do you have any Robert Lloyds or
Lloyds in your Sinclair families?
My aunt told me that Lloyd, Dickson, and Lisle were family names, but she
didn't know what families. I found
out that Dickson was my gt.gt.grandmother's maiden name. Lisle was Jannet
Sinclair's husband's name, see below.
I have seen the name Robert Lloyd Sinclair somewhere and am curious to learn
if anyone if familiar with this name. One of my grandfather's brothers was
Robert Lloyd Sinclair.
    Also I would appreciate knowing if it is possible to find out the
parents of James Sinclair and Mary Dickson from
their marriage record either from old parrochial records of Barony or the
registry ?

    If this is the same family as Angus, then here is another out and out
highlander.

*1. Donald Sinclair and Mary McCallum    source: my grandfather's memory of
     his family legend. He thought they came from Inveraray.
* 2. James Sinclair b. 1801 probably Inveraray, Argyllshire
     m. Mary Dickson  b. ca 1813,  12 July 1833, Barony,Glasgow,Lanark,
     Scotland
    children born in Scotland:
    3. Janet or Jannet, christened 27 Aug. 1834, Parish of Barony, Glasgow
        m. Thomas Lisle of  Blanshard Twp. Ontario  27 February 1851
     3. Mary, christened 16 July 1836, Barony, Glasgow
     3. James b. 3 June 1838, christened 24 June 1838, Barony, Glasgow
         m. 8 December 1861  Eliza Mulligan b. Ireland,  witness Jane
                    Sinclair
   *3. Alexander b. 8 December 1839,  christened 12 January 1840, Barony,
        Glasgow--my gt.grandfather --Alex d. 28 April 1910 St. Marys
        m. Jane Emily Oliver   ca. 186?     Jane d 192?    Sandwich,
           Massachusetts.
        5 sons:
        4. Daniel James b 1868  b. Can. m Mary Elizabeth Hamilton 5 June
            1889 d. 1939  St. Marys > London,Ont. ca. 1913
             children: Violet La Reine b. 20 Aug. 1890 m. James Milton
                           Lankin   2 sons Milton, Samuel, 1 dau. La Reine
                             who married ? Edwards-dau. Deana King
                            Daniel Le Roy ( Roy) b. 25 Sept. 1892 m. May
                            Cousins
                            Lillian b 12 July 1897  m. Gerald Spearin, son
                              Douglas
                            ? Hubert James Sinclair b. 1901 (believe this
                              child's mother  d. at birth and was raised by
                             Daniel and Mary
                              as the present  living relatives have the ? )
                              m. Evelyn  Dicks -
                               son Daniel James Sinclair
                            Robert Lloyd b. 22 July 1904 m. Mary Holt,
                             fireman London city
                              no children
                            Richard Charles b. 21 July 1906-11 March 1969
                            London, Ont.
                             m. 1. Winifred Ward- 3 children
                             m. 2. Rita Parker -3 children
                            Annie Marguerite ( Marguerite) b. 21 Feb.
                                1908-18 June 1976
                                m. George H, Robbins b. 14 Oct. 1901 -
                                    London, Ont - 6 children
                            Dahlia Elizabeth  b. 4 Feb. 1909  m. Clifford
                                               Laskey -2 children
                            Daisy Stella ( Stella ) b. 14 Aug. 1910 m.
                               William Robson or Robinson
                            Madeline Pansey b.12 Aug.1912  St. Marys d. 13
                                 Oct 1992
                                m 1. Russell Michael        m. 2. Wesley
                                         Bezeau
                                children: Jackeline Stella b. 4 Oct. 1941 m.
                                                     one dau. living
                                              Judy May Elizabeth b. 23 Nov.
                                                     1949  m.--
                                                      son & dau.living
                                              Shirley Marguerite b. ?
                                                  5 children living
                                              Reta Lillian b. 16 April 1952
                                               2 daughters living
                                              Helen Georgina b. 23 October
                                             1954  one son living
                                              Bobby b. 1929   d. 1936
                                   The following children d. in a fire
                                               29 December 1950  London,
                                              Russell Michael b. 1937
                                              Audrey b. 1942
                                              David b. 1945
                                               Betty b. 1946
                                              Lariene Violet b. 1948
                                ( above living not named for reasons of
                                  privacy )
        4. Thomas Lisle b. 1870 Ontario, but reg.as b. 12 April 1870
             Brighton MA, USA he died 1947-
            m. Roseyett Holman b. 1871  d. 1952
                 St.Marys to London in 1920 occ. barber, bur. St. Marys
              children: Greta Merle 1898-1958 m. Alexander Rieger d. 1955
                               Brighton, Ont. no issue
                             Lisle 1900 - 1978 m Anne Peace lived in
                                   London  occ. RR conductor St. Marys, and
                                    London
                                    one dau. Joyce 1932 -1998 or 9  m. Jim
                                                   Swift,
                                                        and their son
                                                           Douglas -Calgary,
                                                          Alberta
                               H.(Harold) Raymond b. 22 October 1922 -199?
                                    m. Helen Humber b.1910 Stratford and
                                                        living
                                           Occ. teacher and v.Prin.Stratford
                                                  Central School    no
children
        4. William Alexander b. 18 November 1872 Brighton, Mass.
            physician in Somerville and Sandwich, MA  m. Susan Gilbert
              children: 3 sons all deceased: Oliver, Wallace, and Charles
        4. Robert Lloyd  b. 1875 Ont. d. 1918 New Bedford, MA of the Flu
            m. Gertrude Cliff 28 August 1907, Fall River, Mass.
              2 children:  William Alexander 1 Dec 1908 - 29 January, 1976
                                  m. Eleanor Bills Williamson 30 November
                                            1940
                                               Providence RI
                                       2 daughters: Gertrude Elizabeth
                                                          Regina Elizabeth
                               Dorothy Eleanora Sinclair 31 March 1916
                                FallRiver, MA,
                                 m. Harold Coggleshall Thomas  29 April 1950
                                   Cranston RI -no children
       *4. George Dickson  b. 10 June  1878 St. Marys, d. 1956 Onset, Mass.
               m. June 1903   Beatrice Caroline Whiting b. 30 September 1877
                                       Fall River, MA >Somerville, MA
              (3) children Milton George b. 1905  m Helen Callaghan
                              * Earl Randolph b. 1910  m. M. Alice
Guilderson
                                 1930  Somerville, MA  divorced.
                                 children: * Lois Marie b.1930  m Edward F.
                                                 McGee, Jr. 1952, Barre, MA>
                                                 N.H.
                                                     children: Katherine
                                                                   Mary
                                                                   Timothy
                                                                    Kevin
                                                                    Cecilia
                                                                    Ellen
                                                                    Thomas
                                               Patricia Anne b.1934  m.
                                                     Richard A Beniot 1956
                                                    Barre,
                                                         children: Theresa

Richard, Jr.
                                Genevieve Elizabeth b. 1914 ( living) m
Leonard A. Chesworth ( d.)
                                            children: Nancy Gene- 4 children
                                                          Leonard Albert,
Jr.-no children
                                                           Scott Alan -one
daughter
                                                            Janet
Lee -3children

    3.  children of James and Mary born in Canada:
    3. John b. 1842
    3. Robert b. 1844
    3. Catherine b. 1847
    3. George b. 1851

    In 1842 James and Mary emigrated  from Scotland to St. Marys, Blanshard
Twp., Perth Co. Ontario, Canada.
1842 was the date that Blanshard was offered for settlement and in 1842 a
son, John, was born to James and Mary.
According to Greta Milne, a local historian, John was the first child born
in Blanshard.

    The census of 1851 for St. Marys:
James Sinclair b. Scot  age 51, Mary 39,  Jannet 18, Mary 16, James 14,
Alex 13,
John b. Can. 10, Robert  8, Jane  6, Catherine 3, George 1 and  William 8
(?) we don't know who this is,  possibly a relative.

    Our family legend of gt.grandfather Alexander is he was born in Glasgow,
came to St. Marys as a small boy, and when he was a young man he rode "shot
gun"
 for the Fargo Stage Co. from St.Joseph, Missouri to Sacramento California
and
was often attacked by Indians. This could be around 1860 when he was missing
from the 1861 census.
    James and Mary ?,  son Alexander, my gt. grandfather,  and wife Jane
Emily  came to Boston,
Massachusetts in 1870 and settled in Brighton, now a part of Boston. There
were other family members, but I have yet to find out just who. In 1875 or
76
James died in Boston.  Alex and Jane and sons Daniel, Thomas and William
returned to St. Marys. James' obit: " one brother Robert of Rochester, NY"
    Sometime in the 1880's Alex and Jane and five sons moved to the
outskirts of Winnepeg where they had
relatives. Alex was a factor for the Hudson Bay Co. at lower Fort Garry
before the family came back to Boston or Brighton.
     My grandfather, George ( age 19 )went back to Brandon, Manitoba to
help harvest the wheat, one more time, but got sick  and was put on the
train
for Boston. "He was never so cold in all his life and shivered all the way.
 His parents had moved and people from his church sent for them. He was sick
for a long time after that." I wonder if he had Typhoid.
     When baby-sitting my sister and me he used to entertain us with his
hunting stories
 in Manitoba and Alberta. Place names like Moose Jaw and
Medicine Hat would send us into gales of laughter. He even mentioned a
castle in (unknown)  Scotland, to a ten year old that was pretty exciting.
"Let's go, Grandpa", we said,  only to be told we couldn't afford to cross
the ocean,
let alone maintain the place. That could have been a bed-time story.
 George was proud of  his Canadian and Scottish heritage. He even had a tin
red
and blue plaid bathtub shipped down from Canada. No one else in the family
quite liked it.
He was very  athletic, baseball and tennis and loved to whistle and had a
passion for
Canadian mints. He would have loved going to the present day gatherings.

   Sorry if this is pretty "ho-hum" for you all. I am in hopes someone will
know or recognize some of these names and e-mail me. Don't worry I
 promise not to drop in for tea.

I enjoy reading the discussion list it is my first thing to do each morning.
(digest form )

Regards to all,
Lois S. McGee   in the beautiful White Mts. of N.H.
echoridg@ncia.net