Re: Afghanistan's cricket team

In a message dated Tue, 16 Oct 2001  4:36:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Sinclair" <labehotierre@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Afghanistan's cricket team is on its first foreign tour. The team is on a
> bit of a sticky wicket. It has lost its opening game in Pakistan.
>
> The team learned to play the game from refugees based in Pakistan during the
> Soviet occupation.
>
> The match against Nowshera Cricket Association XI was played in front of 150
> spectators at a pitch in the North West Frontier Province and there was a
> break for morning prayers. Bit of a change from the tea cart.
>
> The Afghan XI was bowled out for 125 and the Pakistan innings 205 for eight
> declared.

[ Excess quotations omitted. ]

This Cricket, Football field was featured on a news program here a few weeks ago. It's quite a gruesom place. I understand the Taliban fills the seats to capacity for the public executions, where people hang from the soccer goal and kneel at center field only to be shot in the head. I have been hoping this was a prime spot for the Allied air stikes. If we have something to show the Afgan populace that we do indeed care about them, that it's not a war with the people, but the Taliban, what could say more?

Donald Sinclair, Indianapolis