Re: Rosslyn Chapel

Dear Cousin Ivan:

According to the Earl of Roslin'a fine guidebook, the restoration project is
overseen by James Simpson of the eminent Edinburgh firm of Simpson & Brown.  Mr.
Simpson has worked on many projects in collaboration with Historic Scotland that
require a certain sensitivity to historical architectural considerations,
including Edinburgh's Magdalen Chapel situated where the Grassmarket joins the
Cowgate.

During the 1950s, ostensibly to protect the chapel from the ravages of damp, a
cementinous coating was applied to the inner walls and carvings.  This coating
did not do what it was meant to do, and actually aggravated the already damp
situation by making the stone unable to "breathe."  It also made the carvings
less sharp, much like layers of paint will do to woodwork.  Perhaps worse, it
made any "changes" that may have been made to the carvings over the years
impossible to discern, thereby leaving the "truth" of the place open to some
doubt--perhaps forever!

All Best for Now!

Jeff