Re: Sinclair Engrailed Cross

At 19:11 13/05/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>      On April 7, 2001 I set up a Clan Sinclair booth at the Tartan Day
>Celebration in Washington, D.C.  One of the visitors to the booth asked me
>for information about the black Sinclair engrailed cross on the white
>background.
>     If anyone has information about it, could you please let me know?  I do
>not know why the Sinclairs use it or where it comes from and I would like to
>let this gentleman know more about it.
>     Thank you very much for your kind assistance in this matter.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Susan M. Grady
>Virginia Commissioner
>Clan Sinclair Association, U.S.A.
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@quarterman.org
>[ To get off or on the list, see http://sinclair.quarterman.org/list.html

Bill Buehler has already given you the deeper meaning behind the engrailed
cross and, as Bill;
is undoubtedly, light years ahead of us all in understanding (and in
compassion for his fellow
man) I will content myself with a more mundane description.

The engrailing is said to 'protect' the true cross of which the Sinclairs
were guardians.  At its
centre it also embraces or encompasses the croix pattee of the Knights
Templar which is
readily discernible if you cover the cross at the first knuckle of each
limb.  This is particularly
apparent at Rosslyn Chapel where the engrailed cross is incorporated into
each and every
arched dome.

The four arms are also said to represent the four rivers of paradise.

The engrailed cross has been a central part of the Sinclair arms since
Norman days.  It is also
incorporated in the coat of arms of the City of Paris because of our
defence of that City.

It has appeared on the sails of our ships, on the shields of our Knights,
on the battlements of
our castles and, most notably, in that sanctum sanctorum,  Rosslyn Chapel.

It is a badge which we should all wear with pride.

Niven Sinclair