[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
A Sinclair Essay, "Humans and the Physical World"
This little essay was written some years ago by a Sinclair. I hope that some
Sinclairs will find the ideas interesting and that posting it here is not
out of line. dls
Economics 000, Humans and the Physical World
Before one goes into the study of Economics, one should know some
principles/facts that are usually assumed or ignored. Among these are the
1. Human activity takes place in the physical world, deals with matter
and energy; and, therefore, is ultimately limited by the laws of physics and
the laws of chance.
2. Since all wealth can be traced to transfers of matter/energy, the
true basis of all wealth is energy.
3. Corollary to this is the fact that all wealth will then be bound by
the fact that in any system that you may choose to examine there will be a
finite amount of resources and when anything is done with these resources
some are lost irretrievably. There is waste of some matter/energy in any
interaction. (A special case of this is the "First and Second Laws of
Thermodynamics," often stated as "You can't win," and "You can't break
4. Consideration of #'s 2 and 3 above, that any economic system not fed
by wealth from outside itself must ultimately collapse.
5. Our entire Earth may bee considered as an economic system.
6. Our Earth's outside source of wealth is the Sun.
7. Considering "4,5,6," it can be said, "As long as Earth is using more
energy than it is harvesting from the sun, it's economic system in
......There is more to this essay, but if the points above are valid, there
are certainly things to be thought about as to what should be human
priorities....The final point of this essay, made much later is that, while
ultimately, our system is doomed, the name of the game perhaps should be to
keep Earth inhabitable as long as possible and humans as habitants as long
as possible. Seems like that would take a lot of rethinking of current
trends....As many Sinclairs nave been leaders, I'm posting this for comment.
If I'm out of line, sorry! w
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, email@example.com
[ To get off or on the list, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html