From: Privateers
To: sinclair@matrix.net
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 3:21 AM
Subject: Re: Glooscap translation?

Dear Bro Bill

off list

Gillascop is Gaelic for Archibald.  I have spelt Scrymgeour both the old and new ways.

On August 1, 1240, in what appears to be the earliest royal grant of lands ever made in the region of Argyll, which encompasses much of western Scotland, Gillascop and Eoghan became the recipients of a charter provided by Scotland s King Alexander II. The grant was made in apparent gratitude for the support rendered by the two brothers for the king s successful military campaign against the Norse who controlled the western islands. The grant was however a formality in that Gillascop and Eoghan were already in possession of the land --- land approximating 100,000 acres which they had inherited from their father. Among the lands recorded as belonging to Gillascop were the five pennylands of Fynchairn (or, Fincharn), the two Rudols which bordered Fincharn, and Glenfynport and Letherlochake which were on the Cowal side of Loch Fyne. Belonging to Eoghan were the lands of Crageneure (Cragenywyr), the pennyland of Penig Corthen, and Naheass which was probably Achachois.

Dudhope Castle is the ancient home of the Scrimgeour clan John Graham of Claverhouse (Bonnie Dundee) was a Scrimgeour 'on the distaff side . Earl and Countess of Dundee are chief of the clan they live in Birkhill Cupar Fife and host the annual clan gatherings.  The Wallace monument in Stirling has a tribute to Alexander Scrimgeour, one of Wallace's principal supporters.

as ever
Sinclair