Re: thoughts

At 07:58 17/07/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear cousins,
>     I was thinking as I awoke this beautiful morning, how fortunate I am.  I
>thank you all again for all your thoughts and prayers.  I have never felt
>really dejected (well maybe a couple of times in the middle of the night
>that I can hardly remember now) but just have been uplifted by all of your
>concern for my health.
>    Also I think it helped to have a historian's perspective on all of this.
>During this time I read about the ill-fated voyage of the Scots to Darien
>and in "A Dance Called America", the misery of those destitute folks fleeing
>the Clearances was laid out before me.  One can only marvel that any of them
>made it at all and then the impact on their health was never over-come, I'm
>sure.  How thankful I am to be alive now when such advances in the medical
>field are available.  I think it would be good for all to read John
>Prebble's "The Darien Disaster" or something like it.  Remembering the
>misery of the Pilgrims, the African Slaves, the Jews, the poor people caught
>along the way in the jaws of the Crusaders, the many pockets of misery today
>in Africa and SE Asia, the North Koreans, Stalin's massacre of millions of
>Ukranians and others in Siberian camps, etc.  What have we to complain about
>if we miss an airplane connection, are slowed down by another driver, have a
>bad hair day, or someone on this discussion group riles you?
>  Thank you again, and be gentle with one another, and do have a good time
>for me in Scotland.
>
>     By the way is there anyone that might have a few extra hours around
>Sterling Castle?  There was something I had wanted to look into while there.
>Laurel

There is a ghost at Stirling Castle which has been seen and photographed.

Alas, the Sinclair Gathering does not go anywhere near Stirling Castle but
there is a ghost at Girnigoe about which I wrote an article and, if Ian or
David
happen to read this, it may be suitable for entry into the special edition of
the "Girnigoe" magazine which is being prepared for the Gathering.

Niven