Re: corn

>>>Can we build a case that since the stone carvings of North American corn
>depict the corn growing upside down, this indicates more authenticity?  <<
>
>This is a topic which has been and is being debated by many more
>knowledgeable than I.  I do not believe anyone has emphatically stated these
>carvings are "Corn"  The term maize has also been used during various
>discussions. Maize would be a relationship to native folklore.

Actually, maize is simply the European name for what we norteamericanos
call corn.  The derivation is from the Spanish maiz which comes from
an Indian (Taino) word.  I don't see what this has to do with folklore.

The word corn means more generally any vegetable that grows as ears,
including for example wheat.  In Europe if you say "corn" many people
will assume you mean wheat.

I've seen the carvings.  They sure look like maize to me.

As we all no doubt know, maize is a new world plant that did not grow
in the old world until the Spaniards brought it back.

As for preserving aloe plants, alcohol would probably work pretty well.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@mids.org>