Re: corn

John wrote>>I've seen the carvings.  They sure look like maize to me.<<

I have not seen them.  A botanist from the Royal Garden in Edinburgh
described the carving as Feathers and the Aloe cactus as a fern.  So I guess
it is all in how you look at it.  I hope to have the chance someday to see
them.

>>I don't see what this has to do with folklore.<<

When the question arose as to the Corn on another list, I contacted local
Wampanoag leaders as they have a distant relationship through the Algonquins
to the MicMacs who were also Algonquins.  Their native folklore used maize
in various ceremonies thus my referral to folklore.  The Corn/Maize had to
do with sun gods, again, according to the Wampanoags.

Gary M