Re: Sinclairs and the Reay Fencibles

At 10:17 31/07/99 -0400, you wrote:
>North Reading, MA, USA

Sir John Sinclair (1754 - 1835) raised two Regiments of the Caithness
Fencibles at the time you
speak of.  Indeed, I am amazed to find the McKays also raised a Regiment of
800 men at the
same time although, surprisingly perhaps, the McKays are more numerous in
Caithness than the
Sinclairs albeit that 80% of the land was owned by 17 Sinclair families at
the end of the 18th C.

Unfortunately, the bulk of my library is now at Noss Head in Caithness so I
haven't ready access
to the books which would allow me to glean the information you are looking for.

Niven Sinclair