about the discussion list and digest

Here are some statistics about the Sinclair Discussion List and Digest; see
 http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html

Members of the Sinclair Discussion List and Digest:
 list 201
 digest 22
 total 216 (a few people are on both)

The total number of members continues to creep up slowly, as it has
all this year.  The list had 190 members on 12 December 1998, one
year after it began.  It would appear that most of the likely members
of the list are now on the list.  216 is plenty of people to have
active discussions, as we can all observe.  It's also still small
enough not to be unwieldy, so it's a convenient number.  I predict it
will increase to about 240 by year's end.

There is some churn; typically one person gets off about every other
day, but another person gets on about at the same frequency.  That
comes to a few percent a week, and is normal.

Paul Sinclair's Guestbook continues to bring in new blood, to which
the existing list members respond with alacrity.

I note by the latest Roslin O Roslin that the Canadian Sinclair organization
has gained several new members because of the list.  I hope the same is
true of the other Clan Sinclair organizations.

Quite a few people moved from the list to the digest, see
 http://www.mids.org/sinclair/digest.html
shortly after the digest was established, but now it seems to be steady
at about 10% digest members to list members.

Also, quite a few people joined the genealogy-only list, see
 http://www.mids.org/sinclair/genelist.html
shortly after it was established, but all the people I've seen posting
there are also still members of the discussion list (I'm sure there
exceptions).  I commend Gary M. Sinclair once again on establishing
the genealogy-only list.

Messages per day on the Sinclair Discussion List and Digest:
 minimum 1
 Q1 5
 median 8
 mean 8.533
 Q3 11
 maximum 22

The number of messages per day has not varied substantially since the
digest started a little over a month ago.  On any given day it has
ranged from 1 to 22, but it is typically between 5 and 11, and over a
week it averages (median or mean) around 8 or 9 per day.

This is a healthy list, and the contributions of its members keep it
that way.  Sinclairs are an eloquent bunch.