[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Connie Whittall, the widow of the late Jim Whittall, has informed me that there will be a programme on America's Stonehenge. Her e-mail reads as follows: I contacted the people in California - they let me know that the show on the History Channel - America's Stonehenge will be airing on July 3rd. James P. will be mentioned in the show. I believe the name of the show is 'Histories and Mysteries'. I don't have cable, so I cannot be sure of the exact name. Please check your local listings. Thanks - Connie The several acres of buildings and walls which make up America's Stonehenge complex is totally dissimilar to Stonehenge in England and it is a puzzle as to why it is referred to as "Stonehenge" as there is no 'henge' there whether of stone or wood. The only similarity is that the two complexes had religious significance, both are aligned astronomically and both are over 5,000 years old. There the similarity ends. I will not spoil your anticipation of the programme by explaining more about "America's Stonehenge" except to say that it is well worth a visit because it demonstrates that the history of the New World is every bit as old as that of the Old World. The evidence is everywhere to be seen - from the frozen North to the tropical South. I am glad the producer's of the film are giving Jim Whittall a credit because Jim was one of those archaeologists who was prepared to go out on a limb Jim's major work was on Newport Tower which he firmly believed had been built by Prince Henry Sinclair's expedition to the New World in 1398. It is my intention to ensure that his work is commemorated in some way. I am currently endeavouring to enlist support in Rhode Island and in Massachusetts towards that end. We will be having a major exhibition in the Boston Public Library in August 2002 where Jim's work will be prominently displayed. In the meantime, please note the date for the film on America's Stonehenge. July 3rd - the day before Independence Day. Alas, we won't be able to see it on this side of the pond but I'll try to obtain a copy from the producers of the film. I'll let them have one about Prince Henry in exchange!! Niven Sinclair [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@quarterman.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://sinclair.quarterman.org/list.html