[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Anyone can order a military record from the National Archives in Washington, D.C. You must first get an official order blank. Do not send any money. When they find the record they will notify you and give you the cost. You then send the amount required. They receive thousands of orders every day and the process takes about 6 weeks to complete. After the civil war, you may be required to give the social security number of deceased and your relationship. This is necessary to comply with privacy laws. I do not know the year this requirement begins but Bill's dad was a Cmdr and we could not get his records without the info. He served over 30 years so I would guess he entered sometime in the early '30s. I have not ordered any for WWI so don't have that knowledge. ----- Original Message ----- From: William S. Buehler <roslinne@fone.net> To: <sinclair@matrix.net> Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 7:24 AM Subject: USMC refusal Sinclair, I'll write a letter to USMC Cmdt. if you'll give me the date and any other identification info re your request. Also add their reply and who signed the response if it wasn't Michalick. I'd need the date/info from the letter [ Excess quotations omitted. ] [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@quarterman.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://sinclair.quarterman.org/list.html