[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Dear Sinclair Cousins, Janet Thomas asked about the two Sinclair crests I used in the first Adept book: the phoenix and the Maltese cross with stars--which Niven rightly identified as to particular family connections. I found them in Fairbairn's book on crests, which is where you can find illustrations of both. Fortunately, crests, unlike coats of arms, are not unique to any one individual, though crests do often indicate family groupings, so I felt free to choose one I liked for my Sinclair character--and the phoenix seemed particularly suitable, given Adam's Sinclair lineage and his past lives. I personally liked the Maltese cross and stars, because of the suggestion of a Templar connection with the cross; but the phoenix, I thought, was even more apt. Mottoes are similarly interchangeable; thus, my choice of Adam's family motto. Thus do novelists' minds work when convoluting a story. :-) Regards, Katherine in Ireland [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@quarterman.org [ To get off or on the list, see http://sinclair.quarterman.org/list.html