Re: Sinclair Timeline

Dear all:
Just back from Scotland and a wonderful time had by all-  if only because we
were there to dance, sing, eat cake and watch sea birds.

I see that the time line is still 'imperfect'  and needs more work.

As for the 9 knights at Hastings, the reference was Thomas Sinclair's
"TheSinclairs of England"  (I believe 1898).

In passing let me say I found Thomas's book a very frustrating read.  Aside
from the florid late Victorian language,  there are very few books cited,
very few references to any other works and worst of all, not an index.   We
simply do not know where he got his material but I gather that this is the
source for the 9 knights story.

FYI, the full quote from Thomas Sinclair:

Page 3:
Of those lithe athletic figures in armour on horseback arouund William Duke
of Normandy [note: he is not referred to as William Sinclair, Duke of
Normandy] on that famous October day of 1066 near Hastings, nine at least
were Sinclairs.  With the Greek-like ease familiar from fine expression in
tapestry, they moved in the inmost circles of his gallant surround.  Hubert
Sinclair, Earl of Rye, was still in the strength of manhood, though he had
near him his four sons in the flower of warriorhood.  Radulph was the
eldest, Hubert ,second, Adam third, and Eudo the youngest.  The Earl of S.
Clare, Walderne, the brother of the Earl of Rye, was also there with his
three sons, Richard, Britel and William.  It is not improbable that he Earl
of Senlis, though then a French and not a Norman subject, also added with
his sons to the roll of the De Sancto Claro in the decisive contest for
England's sovereigny.  Of him, however, there is no record existing with
this established.  ....
In Wace's Roman de Rou, written within hearsay memory of living witnessess
of the Norman Conquest, there is this passage in an admittedly very faithful
description of the Battle of Hastings, the Chief event in the history of
Rollo's line:

"Dunc puinst Hue de Mortimer,
Od li Sire D'Anvilier;
Cil d ondebac e de Saint Cler
Engleiz tirent mult enverser"

It was at a critical point of the fight that this Sinclair, Richard, the son
of Walderne, "overthrew many of the Angles" . "

Hope this is useful.

Rory