Re: Knights Templar suppression

Dear Tim:

How would a debate about the suppression of the Templars, or their secret
survival, "discredit Earl Henry St. Clair and all he achieved?"  Was it not
only in France that the order's leaders were tortured and burned?  Did they not
fare much better in Scotland and England?  Were the Templars who sailed away to
Scotland only of the rank-and-file?  How would only the rank-and-file get
tipped-off in advance? Did they have no leaders? Since when did something cease
to exist simply because no evidence for its continuation has ever been found?
Are we to believe in the veracity of everything that the pope puts his stamp of
approval on, no matter how long that stamp of appoval survives?  If an order
goes underground, and no evidence of it is ever found again, does that mean it
no longer exists?  Might it not perhaps mean that it hid itself VERY well,
without all the outwardly visible trappings that would have (unwisely)
identified it for what it continued to be?  Is a Christian who does not go to
church, does not pound his bible, and does not wear the cross, any less a
Christian, or is he only someone carrying on the Christian "tradition?"  Where
does the one leave off and the other begin, and who is qualified to say?

Very many questions, but still no answers.

Questions, however, have the virtue of leaving the door to investigation a bit
ajar, as it should always remain.  Answers, when delivered with the voice of
"authority," tend to shut that door forever -- and that's a shame.  History is
a walk through the past.  You can accept what has already been "seen" (and
officially sanctioned) by others, or you can choose to use your own eyes, and
draw your own conclusions.  The former is a history we are meant to accept
without question.  The latter -- just conceivably -- may be just a wee bit
closer to the Truth.

As the late Joseph Heller wrote: "Closed doors give me the willies."

When I come to closed door along my walk through the past --no matter WHO has
closed it -- my first inclination is to batter it down.  Once beyond it I
become a paragon of decorum and respect but, no matter what I find and say, I
refuse to bar that door behind me.  Hey -- who knows -- I could be wrong!

In sum, for now, I would say this:  If I were to look at the past as a path
untrodden by me, with many roads to choose, I would still choose the roads that
lead to doors that are closed.  I keep in mind that doors are closed for two
reasons: to stop you from looking in, and to make you more curious than you
ever were before.

All Best!

Jeff