Re: Any Inuit in Scotland, Wales or Ireland?

Hi Ellen,

> I've often wondered if there is any evidence of Inuit visits/settlements in
> the northern regions of Scotland, Wales, or Ireland.  My child's father
> (Inuit) says there was an Inuit settlement at some point in North Wales, but
> I've never heard anything more about it.  It's a little further south than
> most of the other circumpolar settlements, but there are small pockets of
> Inuit settlements in other regions - Canada, of course, Russia, Scandinavia,
> China, Japan, Greenland, etc.

The answer is no.  I have not heard of Inuit's in Scandinavia either,
you are probably thinking of the Saami (aka Lapps but that is as
disliked as Eskimo is)..

The Inuit Circumpolar Conference "works on the international stage to defend
the rights and interests of Inuit in Canada, Greenland, Alaska, and
Chukotka." That indicates where you will find them (Chukotka is in
Russia).

Doug

--
 Doug Weller  Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
 Submissions to:sci-archaeology-moderated@medieval.org