Re: Oldest Scottish Festival

>Hello!
>
>       A friend recently asked me if I knew which Scottish festival has been
>going on for the most number of years?  I said that I did not know.  The
>Virginia Scottish Games in Alexandria, Virginia where we set up a Clan
>Sinclair booth has been going on for 29 years.  If anyone knows of a Scottish
>festival anywhere in the world that has been going on for a longer period of
>time, would you please let me know?

Stone Mountain Highland Games have been going on for 30 years:
 http://www.smhg.org/

Grandfather Mountain Highland Games have been going on for 45 years:
 http://www.gmhg.org/

Halkirk Highland Games have been going on for 116 years:
 http://www.halkirkgames.co.uk/history.htm

St. Andrews Society of Detroit has been holding games for 153 years:
 http://www.highlandgames.com/

They claim to be the oldest in the U.S.

However, the Caledonian Club of San Francisco is said to have been holding
games for just as long:
 http://www.siliconglen.com/Scotland/16_5.html

Antigonish, Nova Scotia, claims to have the oldest games in North America,
but 137 years doesn't seem to quite be the oldest:
 http://groups.msn.com/AntigonishHighlandGames/settings

Or is it 139 years:
 http://www.antigonishmall.com/highlandgames.html

Still, not older than the Detroit or S.F. games.
Part of the Antigonish claim is "continuously running".

It's not clear whether there are any games anywhere else that are older
than the ones so far mentioned.

Abernethy, Inverness-shire, started in 1888, making them 114 years old:
 http://www.nethybridge.com/html/thingstodo/highlandgames.htm

They claim to be the oldest games in Scotland.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>