Re: Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité pour tous

At 11:35 PM 12/09/02 EDT, Jean <Wholylite@aol.com> wrote:
>Ian -
>
>Even the great Sherlock Holmes could be misled by the planting of false
>clues, and don't ask me for the source as I shan't look it up.

No need to look it up - I can furnish that information - the
source for Sherlock Holmes was in the imagination of the author.

"Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930) born in Edinburgh, where he
later graduated in medicine and encountered a Dr Joseph Bell,
whose methods of deductive reasoning reappeared in Holmes."

Source: The Macmillan Dictionary of Biography by Barry Jones
            and M.V.Dixon. ISBN: 0 33340 036 4
            Publisher: Macmillan Press Ltd.  1981 (This ed. 1986)

>I don't need to be your cousin or even know you to know your culture.  If
you
>deny the existence of differences in world cultures, even the difference in
>European cultures, and the importance of them, you need more than a
different
>software.

I respect other cultures, I don't deny their existance. Naturally one is bound
to be different from another.  This makes life all the more interesting.
Whilst I acknowledge the existence of differences in culture, I try very hard
not to assume that my particular culture is superior and in that, I am
fighting
against my conditioning by the society that I grew up within.

I was merely making an observation (with humour) that you do seem to be
assuming an awful lot about people in your emails.  Some of those
assumptions have subsequently been proved to be totally incorrect.
I wouldn't attempt (nor would I wish) to guess your own particular
culture - I would rather find that out by meeting and talking with you.
E-mail messages can no more portray a human being's cultural, moral,
political or religious beliefs accurately than I can cook.
(Don't get me wrong, I can boil an egg, I can cook, but I can't COOK -
you know, accurately like a chef!)

Cheers,

Ian Newman
Perth, Western Australia