Re: Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité pour tous

Dear Jean

America is to important a player on the worlds stage for anyone to be silent
about her actions. I do not say the that only Congress has the right to
declare War.  The oldest written Constitution in the world says so.

The Declaration of Independence states " let Facts be submitted to a candid
World." on the actions of a foreign government.

Your President Franklin Roosevelt stated the America boundaries "were from
the banks of the Rhine to the shores on the Sea of Japan" President Truman
declared on 11 October 1948  "Now, this great Republic--the greatest in
history, the greatest that the sun has ever shone upon--is charged with
leadership in the world for the welfare of the whole world as well as our
own welfare."

The NSC  sent a report to President Eisenhower, advising that the American
position as the "leader of the free world" was sustained by a "strong
military posture," a "sound, strong and growing economy," and a high "morale
and free institutions,"

President William McKinley  claimed that American power was the greatest in
the world. In 1892, before assuming office, he quoted from an article
written fourteen years earlier by the British statesman William Gladstone in
the North American Review. England and America, Gladstone said, were then
"the two strongest nations in the world, but there can hardly be a doubt as
between the America and the England of the future that the daughter, at some
no very distant time, whether fairer or less fair, will be unquestionably
yet stronger than the mother." To McKinley that "no very distant time"
suddenly arrived in the early 1890s. "America," he said, "'whether fairer or
less fair'--certainly freer--is now 'stronger than the mother.'" America had
become the strongest nation in the world because "her power lies in a free
and intelligent and progressive people,"

Albert Gallatin wrote "The Mission of the United States" at the time of the
Mexican War. "Your mission was, to be a model for all other governments" and
"to apply all your faculties to the gradual improvement of your own
institutions" and, "by your example, to exert a moral influence most
beneficial to mankind at large."

I ask only what President John F, Kennedy asked me to ask  in his Inaugural
address "Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the
world, ask of us here the same high standards of strength and sacrifice
which we ask of you."

Kennedy stated in Berlin "Freedom is indivisible, and when one man is
enslaved, all are not free. "

American statesmen have long recognised that xenophobia has no place in a
world so interconnected. The obscene act of 11 September 2001 demand that I
view neither your power or your Constitution as parochial matters.

Sinclair