Goodbye, England's Rose

Five years ago in a select group 2.5 billion people on the telly I watched
Lady Diana Frances Spencer, Princess of Wales was laid to rest.  We saw the
abysmal behaviour of her brother.  Emotion overcame me when Sir Elton John
sang "Goodbye, England's Rose" and his professionally trained voice broke.

I was never a fan of the Princess of Wales, however for all the controversy
and tempests of her life she served the less fortunate.
Marion Wright Edelman  wrote "Service is the rent we pay for being. It is
the very purpose of life, and not something you do in your spare time."

Diana, Princess of Wales was a devoted mother, and munificent with her time
for charities. She championed an end to domestic violence. She made physical
contact with AIDS victims when people eschewed any contact.  She toured in
Eastern Europe and Africa to bring notice to the dreadfulness of land mines.
She slipped away from fields where glory does not stay.

"Goodbye England's rose;
may you ever grow in our hearts.
And it seems to me you lived your life
like a candle in the wind:
never fading with the sunset
when the rain set in.

And your footsteps will always fall here,
along England's greenest hills;
your candle's burned out long before
your legend ever will. "   words by Elton John

Sinclair