Seduction

Seduction by a collection of medieval documents make it easy to believe
snappy modern translations and their self-assured presentations.   Modern
editions and translations are usually not based on original documents, but
on later copies which may have been deliberately altered or inadvertently
contaminated and corrupted.

The article at
http://www.clansinclairusa.org/clansinclairold/clan_yo_history.htm
translated by Dr. Wallace-Murphy is pure speculation. The article has a
deliberate alteration (this paragraph has been rewritten to reflect that the
author had mixed up the two Maugers).   The article calls in to question
primary sources. Note 8  (However, only the name of Richard St. Clere seems
to be on these lists which were compiled years after the conquest.  This
fact makes the lists suspect as to their accuracy) Richard name is not even
spelt Clere on the Battle Abby rolls or the list in Caen. Wallace-Murphy is
a good translator but a translator does not necessary believe the original
text.

Mauger, Count of Corbeil.son of Richard I Duke of Normandy has no recorded
children or even a wife or concubine for that matter It would indeed be a
miracle to be descended from a man with no children.

On to the matter Walderne the generally accepted birth date is about 1044 AD
the claim that he was killed at the battle of Val-es-Dunes in 1047 would
have made him 3 years old.at the time if we adjust the birth date to 1006 AD
as some have suggested his father would have been 10 years old at the time
of his birth. I was sent this attributed to Histoire de la Famille de
Clourcy. Chapter VI  "La Famille de Saint Clair."   "Mauger  Comte de
Mortain et de Corbeil Born 996 Normandy, France Died  1032 Normandy, France
Mauger's son was: Walderne de St. Clair Born 1006  Normandy, France Died
1047  Killed at Battle of Val des Dunes, France fighting against William the
Conqueror" The book is available from Lib. Antiqvaria
1, rue des Sables 85190 Beaulieu sous la Roche France
http://antiqvaria.free.fr.  I have not seen the book myself.

The monument at the battle site has no mention of any Walderne or does the
web site  fr.rec.genealogie (généalogie francophone).

I fail to find any relationship between William the Conqueror and the family
St Clair.  I must be missing the oblivious.

From: "Spirit One Email" <laurel@spiritone.com>
Date: 28 Sep 2000 17:30:13 -0700 "This is a very complex subject and
answer.Hopefully more records will be found to fill in the missing pieces"
she then speculates that William Duke of Normandy, King of England might
have been one of the mythical 9 Sinclair knights at Hastings..

Ward Ginn's excellent warnings clearly stated  "Unfortunately, history -and
Sinclair history is no exception - is often incomplete, inaccurately
articulated and thus misleading. Given these infirmities, I admonish you to
take "at face value" what you read and see here - only believe that which
either you already know to be true or you can verify from other sources."

Richard (I) "the Fearless", 3rd Duke of Normandy
Born in 933 at Fecamp, France
Acceded: 942
Died on November 20, 996 at Fecamp, France
Richard married first in 960 to Emma of Paris (died 962), a daughter of Hugh
"the Great" Capet.
Richard married second to Gunnor of Crêpon
Richard and Gunnor had the following children:
Richard II "the Good" of Normandy
Mauger, Earl of Corbeil
Robert, Count of Évreux and Archbishop of Rouen (died  March 937)
Archbishop Robert had a wife and the following sons:
Richard, Count of Évreux
Ralph of Gacé
William
Matilda
Emma of Normandy, born circa 986, died March 1052. (One timeline claims that
she was a Sinclair)
Emma married first in April 1002 to King Æthelred II "the Unready" of
England,
their son:
Edward the Confessor, King of England 1042 - 1066.
Emma married second in 1012 to Canute II, King of England and Denmark, their
son:
Hardicanute, King of England 1040 - 1042
Hedwig (Hawise) who married Geoffrey, Duke of Brittany.
Their children:
Alan (III), Count of Brittany
Beatrix of Normandy
Godfrey of Brionne & Eu.
His son,
Gilbert "Crispin", Count of Brionne,
William of Hiesmes, Count of Eu

Sinclair

ref The Encyclopædia of the Middle Ages, New York, 1999
Barnes and Hudson: The History Atlas of Europe, New York, 1998
Berhard Grun: The Timetables of History, New York, 1991
Brian Tompsett, Royal Genealogical Data,
http://www.dcs.hull.ac.uk/public/genealogy/royal/.
Andrieu-Guitrancourt, Pierre. Histoire de l'empire normand et de sa
civilisation. Paris: Payot, 1952.
Brown, R. Allen. The Normans. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1984.
Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1976.
La Neustrie: Les pays au nord de la Loire de Dagobert à Charles le Chauve.
Edited by Patrick Périn and Laure-Charlotte Feffer. Rouen: Musées et
monuments départementaux de Seine-Maritime, 1985.
Neveux, François. La Normandie des ducs aux rois (Xe-XIIx siècle). Rennes:
Ouest-France, 1998.
Rowley, Trevor. The Normans. Stroud: Tempus, 1999.