Re: William de Corbeil

Assuming we're talking about the same person referenced in the info below
cribbed from unconfirmed sources, I think I'm as skeptical as Sinclair.
Having done some Kentish studies*, I have never heard the name of
Sinclair/St. Clair inserted and it is not given as such in the Catholic
Encyclopedia.  Additionally, it does not seem syntactically correct for the
era.  One would expect William of St. Clair (anglicised) or William of St.
Clair and Corbeil, or even William of St. Clair Count of Corbeil.  The
insertion would appear to be an anachronism.

OTH, I could be completely and stupendously wrong, as my wife often notes.

Glen Cook
(descended from Staple, Freebody, Homewood, Wood, Love, Usher, & Medhurst,
with a grant of arms based upon Kentish descent)

CORBEIL, WILLIAM OF (d. 1136), archbishop of Canterbury, was born probably at
Corbeil on the Seine, and was educated at Leon. He was soon in the service of
Ranulf Flambard, bishop, of Durham; then, having entered the order of St
Augustine, he became prior of the Augustinian foundation at St Osyth in
Essex. At the beginning of 1123 he was chosen from among several candidates
to be archbishop of Canterbury, and as he refused to admit that Thurstan,
archbishop of York, was independent of the see of Canterbury, this prelate
refused to consecrate him, and the ceremony was performed by his own
suifragan bishops. Proceeding to Rome the new archbishop found that Thurstan
had anticipated his arrival in that city and had made out a strong case
against him to Pope Calixtus II.; however, the exertions of the English king
Henry I. and of the emperor Henry V. prevailed, and the pope gave William the
palliuin. The archbishop's next dispute was with the papal2 See Henri Lavoix,
Histoire de l’instrumentation, p. I I I ; Gerber, Lexikon, “Giuseppe
Ferlendis”; Robert Eitner, Quelleis-Lexikon der Tonkünstler, “ Gioseffo
Ferlendis.” Fétis and Pohl also refer to him.See Musical Travels tliro’
England (London, 1774), p. 56.legate, Cardinal John of Crema, who had arrived
in England and was acting in an autocratic manner. Again travelling to Rome,
William gained another victory, and was himself appointed papal legate
(legatus natus) in England and Scotland, a precedent of considerable
importance in the history of the English Church. The archbishop had sworn to
Henry I. that he would support the claim of his daughter Matilda to the
English crown, but nevertheless he crowned Stephen in December 1135. He died
at Canterbury on the 21st of November 1136. William built the keep of
Rochester Castle, and finished the building of the cathedral at Canterbuiy,
which was dedicated with great pomp in May 1130.

See W. F. Hook, Lives of the Archbishops of Canterbury (1860—1884); and W. R.
W. Stephens, History of the English Church (‘90’).

Rochester Castle, the largest Norman keep in the country, was built by
William de Corbeil, Archbishop of Canterbury, to whom Henry I granted custody
of the castle in 1127.

CORBEIL, a town of northern France, capital of an arrondissement in the
department of Seine-et-Oise, at the confluence of the Essonne with the Seine,
21 m. S. by E. of Paris on the Orleans railway to Nevers. Pop. (1906) 9756. A
bridge across the Seine unites the main part of the town on the left bank
with a suburb on the other side; handsome boulevards lead to the village of
Essonnes (pop. 7255), about a mile to the south-west. St Spire, the only
survivor of the formerly numerous churches of Corbeil, dates from the 12th to
the I5th centuries. Behind the church there is a Gothic gateway. A monument
has been erected to the brothers Galignani, publishers of Paris, who gave a
hospital and orphanage to the town. Corbeil is the seat of a sub-prefect, and
has tribunals of first instance and commerce and a chamber of commerce. It
has important flour-mills, tallow-works, printing-works, large paper-works at
Essonnes, and carries on boat and carriage-building, and the manufacture of
plaster. The Decauville engineering works are in the vicinity. There is trade
in grain and flour.From the Ioth to the 12th century Corbeil was the chief
town of a powerful countship, but it was united to the crown by Louis VI.; it
continued for a long time to be an important military post in connexion with
the commissariat of Paris. In 1258 St Louis concluded a treaty here with
James I. of Aragon. Of the numerous sieges to which it has been exposed the
most’ important were those by the Huguenots in 1562, and by Alexander
Farnese, prince of Parma, in 1590.