Re: Patrick Henry

In Bill Bryson's wonderful "Made in America- An Informal History of the
English Language in America", he says Henry may never have uttered the
famous phrase. One surviving eyewitness wrote Henry did make some
intemperate remarks, but apologized if "the heat of passion might have led
him to have said something more than he intended" and professed undying
loyalty to the King. His ringing challenge may have been invented by an
overzealous biographer.
Jefferson once wrote of Henry, " When he had spoken in opposition to my
opinion, had produced a great effect, and I myself had been delighted and
moved, I have asked myself when it had ceased, "What the Devil has he said?"
and could never answer the enquiry." (found on page 32.)
Take care, Kevin