Re: Viking Longships

Hi Tim,

Saturday, March 23, 2002, 9:23:12 PM, you wrote:

> As far aa I am aware, no authority claims that Viking ships were constructed
> from 'green' wood. That was one of the many reasons for casting grave doubts
> on Pohl's bizarre allegation that Henry st Clair sailed back to Orkney in a
> ship constructed in Canada.

You may be correct, but ships can and have been constructed out of
green wood.  You probably know that many of William the Conqueror's
ships were so constructed. (And much later ships, It isn't the best
way, but it is a quick and relatively easy way. The Barnard's also
built the ships for the Royal Navy and the East India Company from the
16th to the 19th centuries using mainly green wood. I have long been
under the impression that at least some Viking ships were thought to
have been constructed out of unseasoned wood, but if you're sure....

[SNIP]

Doug

--
 Doug Weller  Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
 Submissions to:sci-archaeology-moderated@medieval.org