Wick Heritage Centre

>From Today's O'Groats Journal

Heritage group may be forced to quit

THE award-winning Wick Heritage Centre may be forced to quit its premises in
Bank Row following a controversial plan to alter the terms of its new 25-year
lease, it emerged yesterday.
The changes would mean the Wick Society, which runs the facility, would be
responsible for the maintenance of the building and the insurance premiums.
At present, the Highland Council pays these bills.
The costs would be prohibitive for the centre, which is operated by
volunteers, and could result in it having to close its doors.
Society chairman Iain Sutherland confirmed that the museum’s future is under
threat because of what he describes as the “preposterous” changes to the
lease.
He wants the new conditions withdrawn and maintains that if they are not then
the centre is unlikely to reopen.
Mr Sutherland claims there are only two realistic alternatives – buy the
building from the Highland Council for a peppercorn fee of £1 or accept the
new lease provided the society gets a £10,000 a year grant to meet the
maintenance and insurance costs.
One other possible option would be to move in to the recently-purchased
former fish-processing yard next to the centre, although Mr Sutherland
accepts such a move would result in a much smaller facility.
He said: “This is extremely serious as far as we are concerned.
“We have spent 30 years trying to preserve the heritage of Wick and have
never asked anybody for any assistance whatsoever.
“Now, after all we have done, we are being told that we will have to raise
the money to pay for the maintenance and insurance. I find that unacceptable.”

Mr Sutherland also warned that the closure of the Wick centre would have
adverse consequences for the local tourist industry.
“We attract 4000 people a year into Lower Pulteneytown, most of whom would
never normally be in that area. This is of direct benefit to the retail
businesses in the town.”
He went on to say that if the Wick museum – the largest north of Perth – was
operated by the Highland Council it would cost around £100,000 a year. “It
would need a manager/curator, at least two conservators and 10 part-time
staff in the summer.
“It would be interesting to know how many people are employed in the
Inverness museum which operates in much smaller premises.
“I would like to see a comparison of the costs involved with the displays in
Inverness because ours have cost the council nothing.”
Mr Sutherland stressed that the Wick Society had spent its cash reserves to
buy the former fish-processing plant next to the museum so it could be
extended.
“We did so as our contribution to the Lower Pulteney redevelopment in the
full knowledge that tourism is declining and that we expect to make a loss
over the next three years. Our revenue dropped by 20 per cent in 2001,” said
Mr Sutherland.
He blamed the Scottish Parliament for the proposed changes to the lease and
said such a move would have an adverse impact on similar facilities
throughout the country.
“The Highland Council is only the message boy,” he maintained. “The Scottish
Parliament is behind this and is putting us in a position where the financial
burdens are going to put us out of business. It is monstrous.”
The society is to meet to discuss the situation early next week.
Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross MSP Jamie Stone yesterday described the
proposed changes to the lease as “ludicrous”.
He said: “I have every sympathy for the predicament the Wick Society finds
itself in. I don’t know what the involvement of the Scottish Parliament is
but will make it my business to find out and do what I can to help.”
Mr Stone will be in Caithness this weekend and hopes to meet with members of
the society to try and find the best way forward.
“We should be assisting them rather than putting obstacles in their way,”
said Mr Stone, who explained that he will be seeking a meeting with the
deputy finance and local government minister, Peter Peacock, in a bid to
clarify the situation. “I want to find out what the position is,” added Mr
Stone.
No-one from the council offices in Wick was available