Re: For Glen Cook, demise of the Templars???

>Records are different from opinions.  The primary source, the Bull itself,
>speaks for itself.

I hope so.  Unfortunately, my Latin is a little rusty, so I'll have to
make do with a translation.

> You must give contemporary records a different weight
>that a précis based on those records deserves.  A translation no matter the
>skill of the translator, lets the thoughts of the translator creep in.

I'm sure you'll do a good job translating it.

>The Roman Government demanded Temple Tax not belief. Death was a radical way
>to collect taxes. Inland Revenue thankfully has not yet learned this
>technique.

Interesting rationalization.  However, the Romans at various times
also demanded religious rites at Roman temples, and that people
deny being members of certain religions.

> Philippe IV, le Bel, King of France pushed the Pope to the Council at
>Vienne. The King demanded judgement on the Knights Templars.  The bishops
>refused to judge them without hearing the accused.  The French Pope Clement
>V, pressured by his King decided "motu proprio"(by his own movement) the
>suppression if the Order, by the bull Vox in excelso.  We desperately need
>the jury system to save us from the oppressions of a berserk executive.

The jury system is good.

>Guy Stair Sainty states
>"This rarely given distinction cannot strictly be characterized today as an
>Order of Knighthood, but more as an award of honor of the highest possible
>standing." This Order was last awarded in 1987. (Their) are no living
>Knights of the Papal Supreme Order of Christ.....
>The original foundation was actually a religious military Order under the
>rule of Saint Benedict, constituted in Portugal by King Denis I on 14 August
>1318, confirmed and granted statutory regulation by the Bull Ad ea ex
>quibus ...The Order's endowment was established with the surviving estates
>of the recently dissolved Order of the Temple, just as in Spain most of
>these estates were used to establish the Order of Montesa." End Quote

[ Excess quotations omitted. ]

That is the question, isn't it?

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>