Re: The Roll of Battle Abbey - Sinclairs at the Battle of Hastings

The only place I can recall seeing the nine Sinclairs who are alleged to have
fought at Hastings enumerated is in the appended message, which you will also
find in
 http://sinclair.quarterman.org/sinclair/history/med/battleofhastings.html

Notice that there are 9 persons enumerated, not 1 + 9.

In the same page you will see discussion between Niven and Laurel saying
that neither Walderne nor Hamon could have been at Hastings, since they
both died at Val-es-Dunes.

Hamon doesn't appear to be among the nine listed, but Walderne is.
So that would make it 8, not 9 (and not 10).

The book cited is actually by Thomas Sinclair (not Andrew).
Complete particulars are cited in a link from the above web page.
What source that book itself cites, I do not know, but the historians
among us now know where to go look.

As to whether there were 1, 2, 8, 9, or 10 Sinclairs at Hastings,
I really couldn't say.  Perhaps the current discussion on this topic
will turn up more authoritative sources and conclusions.

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>