Re: More Questions than Answers

Sinclair,

Sorry for not responding sooner, but some unfortunate events intervened...  I
am grateful to those who rose to defend "our position".

I won't respond to your constitutional sally since Dana Kyler did that ably,
but your new post deserves comment.

> This is not law in America but these words may be appreciated. "We hold
> these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal ...
> deleted material ..................they do not exclude
> the 95% of the world's population who are not American.

The Declaration of Independence catalogues the founders opinions regarding
man's God-given rights.   As you ably pointed out, in the founder's view, God
didn't exclude anyone.  However it is my understanding that His guarantees
ended at "life liberty and the pursuit of happiness", and did not extend to
civil trials for terrorists engaged in "acts of war" against the US.

Incidentally, regarding the issue you raised earlier as to whether we are at
war, few people would quibble about whether an act of war was committed
against the US.  And historically, that has always been enough to motivate the
US to respond without a formal declaration.  It's one of the advantages of a
republic.

> When our sons and daughters were being killed on the streets of London by
> terrorists, Americans financed them. When the President of Chile was killed
> who was responsible? The CIA?  You also financed bin Laden and Saddam when
> you found them useful.

You will, I hope, not be surprised to learn that I agree with you passionately
regarding the support that some in the US have given to the IRA.  Worse yet,
highly placed US politicians like Senator Kennedy have actually actively
supported them.  My personal hope is that Bush really meant what he said when
he declared  war against international terrorism in all forms.  In my view
this includes the IRA and the UDF. The minimum the US should do is to outlaw
support for these groups, seize bank accounts where they can, and otherwise
make life miserable for misguided Americans who seek to help these vicious
cowards.  I trust that in the fullness of time that this will occur.

Your hindsight is unerring.  You are quite correct in pointing out that
financing Bin Laden and other self-nominated "freedom fighters" in the past
was a monumental error.  I would point out however that that was then, and
this is now.   Then we were in conflict with the "evil empire"....  now
international terrorism is the biggest threat.  Basically, we all make the
best choices we can, and hope that we have helped more than harmed.

Passivity in the face of naked brutality is not a particularly good option
either.  For example, my perception is that the EU seemed unable to act while
"ethnic cleansing" went on right under their noses in the Balkans.  As I
recall, there was a great deal of hand wringing going on in the UN and
elsewhere, but little was done until the US (and Britain) took action.
Bottom line is that none of us have a monopoly on omniscient certainty...  we
do the best we can, the best way we know how.

> Dare I quote from a book that is not reserved for Americans? Proverbs 16:18
> "Pride Goth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."
>
> British and French troops are today in Afghanistan. Their blood runs red.
> They are men they live and die.

I don't think pride has anything to do with the American reaction to Bin
Laden's attacks...   Anger certainly, maybe some fear that we need to stop
this stuff now or face worse later, but not pride, not haughtiness....
nope.... it's not in the character... it's one of the parts of our Continental
heritage that we rejected.

And by the way, should it not be obvious already, I am personally very
grateful to our allies and friends who are participating in this campaign.   I
won't forget their sacrifices, nor will the rest of the US citizenry.

Best regards,

Joe (upstate NY)