Re: I have a question

Hi Debbie,
Came across your question a little late, but I have set and woven the green
Hunting tartan. It is a background of Bottle Green, with Black, Navy Blue,
Scarlet and White in the sett. My grandfather Andrew W. who was a weaver
and tailor, gave me the explanation that the modern sett, which I was
using, was due to the Aniline dyes developed in Victorian times and the
Ancient was colored with herbal dyes. I prefer the colors of the Ancient
but it was very hard to match in modern wools.

I've never tackled the red but there is no grey wool in it. The grey tone
is the crossing over of the warp and the weft in black and white. There is
no yellow in any Sinclair tartan.
Jean Stokes.