Re: Sinclair Places

Hello!

    Here are some more Sinclair places.
    There is a Sinclair Road in or near Hampton, Virginia.  The Sinclairs in
southern Virginia are descended from a famous sea captain.  I think his name
was John Sinclair.  During the Revolutionary War, he ran the British blockade
of the southern ports and brought supplies from Barbados to Virginia.  These
supplies were given to General George Washington for the Continental Army.
     In the eastern part of the large city of Victoria, British Columbia,
which is on an island, there are: Sinclair Hill, Sinclair Road, and Sinclair
Bay.  They have to do with the family of the grandfather (father's father) of
my mother, Mrs. John P. (Ruth Louise Jackson Sinclair) Green of Waltham,
Massachusetts.  She now lives in Somers Point, New Jersey.
    Her father's father, James Adams Sinclair, was born in Glasgow, Scotland
in 1837 and his older brother John Sinclair, was born in Glasgow in 1829.  In
1840 these two young men, their younger sister, Eliza Sinclair, and their
parents John Sinclair (He was born on St. Helena Island, Glenluce, Scotland,
but worked as a power loom weaver in a cloth factory in Glasgow,) and Mary
McArthur Sinclair, emigrated to Hamilton, Ontario Province, Canada.  In 1850
they entered the United States at Watertown, New York.  The Sinclair family
ended up in Waltham, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston.  John Sinclair was a
foreman in a cotton mill in Boston, but he had a fight with his brother,
James A. Sinclair.  John Sinclair and his wife then moved to Minnesota, where
he was a farmer.  During the Civil War they and their children sailed down
the Mississippi River to New Orleans, took a ship from there to Panama, went
by land over the Isthmus of Panama, and then got on another ship which took
them to Victoria, British Columbia Province, Canada.  He was one of the first
settlers in Victoria which is why the places there are named after him.  He
was a farmer.  The large wooden water tower of his house still stands as do
the houses he built for his two sons.  John Sinclair died July 25, 1915 in
Victoria and is buried there.
     In 1994 my husband and I went to Victoria and visited my mother's
relatives and photographed all the places associated with our Sinclair
family.  Victoria is a very beautiful and historic city.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Sinclair Green Grady
Alexandria, Virginia