Re: Sorry Sally

Sorry Sally quasi historical romance novels do not give the accurate
definitions. The Scots Gaelic for a foreigner is allmharach foreign, fierce;
The Irish allmharach, foreigner, transmarine; Early Irish allmarach. From
all-, beyond, and muir, sea, "transmarine" . or in the the word  coigreach
can be used nm. g.v. -ich; pl. -ich, stranger, foreigner

Gall another word means nm. g. Goill; pl. Goill, foreigner, outsider or a
Scottish Lowlander

The definition of Sassenach is: Sostynagh  Englishman, Englishwoman, Saxon,
Sassenach, English.

The heroine in Diana Gabaldon's book "Outlander" is an English woman caught
in time travel torn between a lover in one century and a husband in another
written by an American from Scottsdale Arizona.

Sinclair

Ref:
An Etymological Dictionary of the Gaelic Language MacBain, Alexander
Gairm Publications, 29 Waterloo Street, Glasgow G2 6BZ , 1982

The School Gaelic Dictionary Malcolm MacFarlane Eneas MacKay, Bookseller 43
Murray Place, Stirling. 1912