Re: Paragenetic?

>>If what Niven suggests is true, that the term paragenetic includes not only
>>those of Sincalir ancestry but also thsoe who are 'spiritually' Sinclairs -
>>can I lay claim to honorary para-genetic status.?. After all my sirname
>>translates into English as 'son of the sea-warrior' and I have been known,
>>when in abberant mood to promote the Sinclair cause from time to time.
>>
>>Best wishes
>>
>>Tim
>Dear Tim,
>
>As you have shown yourself to be the promoter-in-chief of the Sinclair cause,
>we will give you honorary para-genetic status  John tells us that pargenesis
>means  'the order in which the constituent minerals in a rock mass have been
>formed' which makes you (and the rest of us) a product of a very rich gene
>pool with the Sinclair gene dominant in colour (red hair and green eyes) and
>temperament (bloody mindedness bordering on madness).

Good point.  If Tim isn't one, he should be.

>Para-genetic will appear in the next issue of Collins English Dictionary in
>its new additional meaning.  Google (John's word) will not appear because,
>  having no etymological foundation, it is totally meaningless which is why
>it cannot be found in any standard dictionary.

Google doesn't have to appear in a dictionary, for the same reason that
Sinclair does not need to appear in a dictionary: it's a name, not
a plain noun.  Google is the web directory that appears at
 http://www.google.com

>Generally, I am against the bastardisation of the English language but accept
>the use of new words to satisfy  the needs of the technological age in
>which we live and in which (the para-genetic) John excels.

Actually, I'm a peculiar corner case.  I do carry the Sinclair name,
as a middle name, in unbroken direct descent.

>Niven, who is also para-genetic to the umpteenth degree, from a rather alarming
>gene pool of  murderers and maniacs, bishops and bigots, saints and sinners
>which makes him at one with the rest of you.    We all need locking up for the
>safety of the populace at large.

I would think a true Sinclair would put no credence in what the populace
at large thinks. :-)

John S. Quarterman <jsq@quarterman.org>