Re: Sinclair

At 19:15 31/03/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Niven,
>
>What if a Nancy is a nickname for something??  I had been told there have
>been names that are derived (changed - I think.... I'm not sure if thats the
>word to use).   I also have been told that those scottish used Morag names.
>So... do you think its possible they could have used that name here in
>America as well as in Scotland??
>
>Kozy

My Gaelic friend has never heard of Onalie but is checking it out with other
people from the Western Isles and Ireland.

Nancy may be a derivation from Agnes but it is quite a common given name
e.g. Nancy Mitford, one of the Mitford sisters of the Devonshire family, who
was pro-Hitler.

Morag is a Gaelic name which is NOT a corruption of a more common Christian
name.  It is very common in the Hebrides (a group of over 500 islands off the
West coast of Scotland).  You may be confusing it with "Meg" which is
frequently
used as an affectionate diminutive for Margaret.

Niven Sinclair